Women in Mind
Our campaign to keep women’s mental health needs in mind
What is Women in Mind?
Women with mental health problems, especially those with experience of violence, abuse and trauma, struggle to get the vital support they need from mental health services. Our campaign, Women in Mind, calls for women’s needs, and in particular their experience of abuse and violence, to be prioritised and taken seriously in policy, strategy and delivery.
We launched Women in Mind with the results of a Freedom of Information Request which showed that mental health services across England are not properly considering the needs of women.
Only 1 out of 35 who responded had a women’s mental strategy and half (18) had no policy on ‘routine enquiry’ (the practice of routinely asking female patients about experience of abuse), which is contrary to NICE guidelines. Read more here.
Read Rachel’s story, and find out more about the importance of mental health services that prioritise women’s needs.
Write to your MP
You can make a difference. Please write to your local MP to ask them to contact the Government in support of Women in Mind and to find out how mental health services in your area are responding to women’s needs.
You can do this in 5 easy steps:
- Go to writetothem.com, add your postcode and press ‘go’
- Click on the name of your local MP (underneath the councillors details)
- Copy and paste the text from here into the text box under ‘write your message’ (you can add a paragraph on your experiences of these issues if you wish)
- Add your contact details to the bottom of the page and press ‘preview and send’
- You will see a preview of your letter. If you’re happy, press ‘I’m happy, send it’
It would be great for us to know what your MP says when he or she replies to you as this will help us to continue our campaigning work. Please send a copy of the response to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or to Azaan Akbar, Agenda, 18 Victoria Park Square, London, E2 9PF. Thanks very much for your support.